Monday, June 6, 2011

Connectivism -- Dawn's Learning Network Map




     As a network security analyst/engineer, my job requires a great deal of research to ensure the organization’s network is in compliance with the most current security requirements.  This research requires me to review numerous federal, national, DoD, and military documents (online) as well as researching commercial sites for industry best practices.  In putting together this learning map, I found that the research methodology I use for my job and for school is very similar. 

     In this map, I demonstrated how I research and gain information from multiple sources to construct meaning.  For my professional knowledge, I rely heavily on websites that contain databases and documentation; however, my social network of professionals (whom I usually keep in contact with via Email) provides me with a critical source of information as well.   Although I do use Facebook for socializing with friends, family and co-workers, I usually do not use it for posting professional information due to the sensitive nature of my work; however, I could use Facebook to seek professional advice from my contacts using Facebook Email.  My education network is fairly new; however, I am learning new ways to connect to others to gain and construct information (such as through the use of blogs). 
     As demonstrated in my mind map, all of my network connections allow me to cross-reference information.  According to Siemens, “connectivism is driven by the understanding that decisions are based on rapidly altering foundations. New information is continually being acquired and the ability to draw distinctions between important and unimportant information is vital. Also critical is the ability to recognize when new information alters the landscape based on decisions made yesterday” (Siemens, 2005 as quoted by Davis and Kelly-Bateman, 2008).  The ability to recognize new information and distinguish what is important from the unimportant is very critical as an IT professional and as an instructional design student.  As new technology develops, I will need to continue to incorporate it as part of my learning network to ensure I make informed decisions based on the most current information.
Reference: 
Retrieved from web article: Davis, C., Edmunds, E., & Kelly-Bateman, V. (2008). Connectivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Connectivism

No comments:

Post a Comment