Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Reflection Blog “Fitting the Pieces Together”

After reviewing all of the learning theories over the past seven weeks, I have definitely gained a much deeper understanding of how a learner acquires and retains knowledge.  By reading, researching, discussing, analyzing, applying and evaluating the various learning theories over the past several weeks, I have gained a new perspective on learning that I didn’t have when I started this class.  From the class resources, instructor input and student interactions, I have discovered that this newfound knowledge is in my “zone of proximal development,” which, as noted by Dr. Ormrod, is Vygotsky's theory that states “…for any learner is this range of activities that are difficult but not impossible and which you can do if you have a little bit of help” (Laureate, Inc.). 
For each of the theories, I can see where this knowledge is useful to me both as a learner, and as an instructional designer.  The following is a description of how I use each theory to learn:

Behaviorist Theory – We all use this theory to gain basic knowledge.  As mentioned by Ertmer & Newby (1993), this theory describes how we develop habits that result in our being able to generalize similar facts.  The military and the Information Technology (IT) profession has hundreds (if not thousands) of acronyms for terminology, e.g. DoD (Department of Defense), TDY (temporary duty), IA (Information Assurance), CDROM (Compact Disk Read-Only Memory).  While I believe most people use a number of acronyms in their every-day language, it seems that half of my work conversations are made up of acronyms.  Over time, I have forgotten what some of these acronyms symbolize since I rarely use the actual words the acronym represents in my everyday language.  If I forget what the acronym stands for, I can use the Internet (or other electronic sources, such as an online military document) to look up the meaning.
Cognitive Theory – This theory is required for all higher processing functions, such as reasoning, problem-solving and information processing (as noted by Ertmer & Newby, 1993).  When we acquire new information, we have to structure and encode meaning against our existing information to allow us to retain and use this information.  Cognitive processing is required in all but the simplest of tasks in the IT industry.  For my work, I am required to conduct risk assessments for a network.  This complex task involves (among other tasks), scanning a system for vulnerabilities and providing a risk assessment based on those results.  To do this, I need to first learn how a network functions, acquire knowledge on potential network security threats, learn about system and network vulnerabilities and then draw upon that knowledge to conduct an evaluation against requirements.  I may complete an online course using virtual software (such as VMware©, 2011) or use the Internet (and other electronic sources) to gain the knowledge I need to conduct assessments.
Constructivist Theory - According to Ertmer & Newby (1993), an individual creates meaning from his or her own experiences and gains knowledge from the interpretation of that experience.  Learning focuses on primary concepts not isolated facts (On Purpose Associates, 2011).  In my work environment, I use constructivism every day as I gain knowledge from my daily experiences; however, I also gain knowledge from my experience outside work as well.   Gardening, household projects and other daily activities all present opportunities to construct meaning from the experience.
Social Learning Theory – Before this class, I had not really thought of how much knowledge we gain from social settings.  I can see where children really use the social concept of modeling (Boeree, 2006) to gain knowledge (although this doesn’t apply just to children).  I remember my son having trouble with potty training.  He wasn’t really consistent about using the toilet until he started emulating or modeling his best friend, who was potty trained.  As stated by Beaumie Kim (2001), “Social constructivism emphasizes the importance of culture and context.”  In learning a language, it is much easier to gain understanding of that language if you are part of the cultural.  While I am not proficient in Japanese by any means, I have a somewhat better understanding of how to use and properly pronounce Japanese words because I use to  live in that country.
Connectivism – this was a new concept to me, but one I immediately understood.  As noted by knowledge Davis, Edmunds, & Kelly-Bateman (2008), learning is a continual process of connecting current knowledge and learners must distinguish between relevant and non-relevant information to obtain knowledge.  Using connectivism is critical in IT field as new information is released on a daily basis.  Connectivism involves seeking multiple sources of knowledge and continually refreshing that knowledge to ensure information is current.  For example, DoD information systems must be compliant with National, Federal and DoD regulations.  Systems must not only have industry security patches installed, they must also be configured to meet the current National, Federal and DoD security standards.  I use the Internet, online databases or other electronic sources of information to gain knowledge about current standards on a frequent basis.              
Adult Learning - Kathleen Cercone (2008) quoted Frey & Alman (2003) who stated that "There is not one adult learning theory that successfully applies to all adult learning environments."  I now see how as an adult learner, I use multiple learning theories and strategies within those theories to gain knowledge.  Bill Kerr (2007)  summed up his blog entry on learning theory and the various “_isms” (constructivism, behaviorism, cognitivism and connectivism) by stating that “It seems to me that each _ism is offering something useful without any of them being complete or stand alone in their own right.”  I agree with this statement as well as Karl Kapp’s follow-up to Kerr’s blog where he states that “What we need to is take the best from each philosophy and use it wisely to create solid educational experiences for our learners.”  Essentially learning requires multi layers using different theories to be effective.  As an IT professional and an instructional designer, I will need to apply all these learning theories to ensure the most effective learning outcome for me and for my students.

References:


Boeree, C.G. (2006). Albert Bandura.  Retrieved from http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/bandura.html
Cercone, K. (2008). Characteristics of adult learners with implications for online learning design. AACE Journal, 16(2), 137–159. Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Reader.ViewAbstract&paper_id=24286

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50–71. 
Kim, B. (2001). Social constructivism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Social_Constructivism
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). Theory of Social Cognitive Development: An interview with Dr. Jeanne Ormrod [Video] [Transcript]. United States: Laureate Education, Inc. Retrieved from Transcript: http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/courses/59896/CRS-CW-5089749/Transcripts/EDUC6115_04_Transcript.doc
On Purpose Associates. (2011) Constructivism.  Retrieved from the Funderstanding website:  http://www.funderstanding.com/content/constructivism
Ormrod, J., Schunk, D., & Gredler, M. (2009). Learning theories and instruction (Laureate custom edition). New York: Pearson
VMware ©, Inc. (2011). Virtualization for Education. Retrieved from http://www.vmware.com/solutions/education/index.html

test

No comments:

Post a Comment